We’re continuously grateful to everyone who has supported our work and continues to do so.
Our supporters include:
The Arem Foundation
Roger and Lee Myers
The Board of UCLH (who donated equipment from the former Middlesex Hospital)
UWHI Patron – Mrs Janet K Museveni, First Lady of Uganda and Honourable Minister for Karamoja Affairs
I am happy to be Patron of the Uganda Women’s Health Initiative and I am grateful to those working with the UWHI both in Uganda and the UK for all their efforts on behalf of the women in our country.
For many years now, I have been involved in efforts to promote maternal health in Uganda. My role has been mainly one of advocacy.
Through my interactions with communities throughout the country, I have seen how women suffer and die unnecessarily because of cervical cancer and other preventable problems in pregnancy and childbirth.
A great deal has been achieved during the first five years of the UWHI and I look forward to supporting them as they work towards even greater achievements in the future.
Jon Snow, broadcaster
I am a great admirer of the work of the Uganda Women’s Health Initiative, and I am delighted to read about its achievements over the past five years.
I have loved Uganda from the moment I set foot there straight from school as an 18 year old VSO volunteer. Later visits as a journalist confirmed my admiration for the Ugandan people.
The Uganda Women’s Health Initiative champions women’s health, not only screening for cervical cancer (the biggest cancer killer of women in Uganda) but also spearheading research into a broad range of initiatives, from neonatal resuscitation techniques to the prevention of postpartum haemorrhage.
I applaud the UWHI’s achievements and look forward to supporting its work in the future.
The UCL and UCLH Team
- Hazel Davis
- Frances Greenall
- Dr Orla McArdle
- Dr Jo Modder
- Mr Pat O’Brien
- Dr Mark Osmond
- Dr Nikki Robertson
- Dr Mark Sellwood
- Dr Cally Tan
The Ugandan Medical and Research Team
- Dr Lydia Mpanga
- Sister Elizabeth Nagudi
- Dr Margaret Nakakeeto
- Dr Miriam Nakalembe
- Dr Nuru Nakintu
- Midwife Mary Nakuba
- Head Warden Miriam Namudu
- Midwife Ruth Tazimura
- Midwife Ruth Tenywa
- Midwife Mary Zabuliwo
- Programme Co-ordinator Mairead Murphy
The Medical and Administrative Team at the UWHI
- Graham Evans, Programme Manager
- Nurse Rose Izimba-kaziba
- Nurse Beatrice Kiberu Naggenda
- Fiona Luboga, Programme Administrator
- Dr Daniel Murokora, Medical Director
- Nurse Annet Nabakka Rwiragira
- Nurse Norah Nakate Nakyanzi
- Professor Ian Jacobs, Founder and UK Co-Chair, the Uganda Women’s Health Initiative and Vice President, Dean/Head of the School of Medicine, Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences, University of Manchester
- Dr Lawrence Kaggwa, Uganda Co-Chair, the Uganda Women’s Health Initiative and Consultant in Health Systems and Clinical Services
- Graham Evans, Programme Manager, the Uganda Women’s Health Initiative
- Dr Antony Gakwaya, Consultant Breast Surgeon, Mulago Hospital
- Dr Joseph Kigula, Head of Radiotherapy Department, Mulago Hospital
- Dr Anne Merriman, Director of Policy & International Programmes and Founder of Hospice Africa
- Shahina Mohamed, Operations Director to the Vice President & Dean, Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences, University of Manchester and affiliated to The Department of Gynaecology Cancer Research Centre at University College London
- Dr Daniel Murokora, Medical Director, the Uganda Women’s Health Initiative
- Ms Gertrude Nakigudde, Public Relations and Advocacy Officer, Uganda Women’s Cancer Support Organisation
- Dr Anthony Okoth, Consultant Gynaecologist and Obstetrician, Mulago Hospital
- Mr Anthony Silverstone, Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist and Gynaecological Oncologist at University College London Hospitals
- Mariam Louise Walusimbi, Assistant Commissioner, Health Services – Nursing, Mulago Hospital
- Dr Jennifer Wanyana, Assistant Commissioner in Charge of Reproductive Health, Ministry of Health